Yesterday, I took my dog for a walk. I made it about three blocks with him, a dog who usually absolutely loves walks, before I realized he was walking with his front paw up. A few seconds later, his back leg went up, too, though he kept limping along. For a moment, I was confused. It was then that I noticed the sidewalk had salt on it. I had to carry my dog for three blocks to get him home.
Living here in Wisconsin, it doesn’t surprise me that people put salt on their sidewalks to melt the ice. For us humans, yeah, sure, you may be doing us a favor. But for dogs, you’re hurting them.
According to an article from AccuWeather, which you can read here, the main ingredients in ice-melting salt are either sodium chloride or calcium chloride, both of which are harmful to pets and could kill them if ingested.
SO WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THIS CRAP ON YOUR SIDEWALKS?
Tonight, while walking my dog again with my mom, was a hassle. My dog again began limping because of the chemical burns on his paws because of salt on the sidewalks.
After attempting multiple times to put my dog on the snow, we realized we had no options left but to carry him. We had to carry my 30-pound dog for four blocks because of the salt on the sidewalks.
While we stopped to have some freakin’ mercy and let my dog sit on a bus stop bench, I noticed the sidewalk around us looked like THIS:
REALLY, PEOPLE? IS THAT NECESSARY?
Bottom line, I don’t give a rat’s behind if you don’t want ice in your front yard. That’s fine, good for you. HOW ABOUT YOU BUY SOME PET-FRIENDLY ICE MELTERS? Yes, I included a list. You’re freakin’ welcome.
I have to get up early for work tomorrow. Consider my words. Goodnight, squadlings.